[CentOS] how do I set up separate log files/AWstats instances for a virtual host web server?

Mon Dec 12 15:41:20 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 12/11/05, Ron Jones <ron.jones at rej.us> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  I've configured my server to to host multiple sites on a single IP address,
> when complete, there will be no more than 5-6 websites on the server.  They
> are located in /home/<username/public_html.
>
>  Now, I'd like to add Awstats to each site, but to keep things separated,
> I'd like to set up the log files independently.  Can anyone point me at a
> resource that will walk me through setting up & configuring said log files
> per site (including subdomains)?
>
>  Also, does anyone know of a resource that will help with the setup of
> Awstats under those circumstances, the software works beautifully, but the
> manual was written by the programmers.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Ron Jones
>  Alpharetta, GA

You can use a statement like the following:

 LogFormat "%v %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" commonvhost
CustomLog logs/access_log commonvhost

in your httpd.conf file, and awstats should recognize it as dealing
with seperate vhosts. The %v is the vhost tag for apache logging.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT