[CentOS] compaq r4000 32 bit and 64 bit install

Tue Dec 13 22:26:33 UTC 2005
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Jerry Geis wrote:

> Gents,
>
> I first installed the 32 bit version (as you might have read) of
> centos 4.2,
> after downloading x86_64 the install process/progress is about the same.
> going VERY slow...
>
> The screen for formatting the partitions took a LONG time
> (3 partitions 10 GIG, 2 GIG swap and 50 GIG).
> While on that screen and moving the mouse it lagged big time and
> could not keep up.
>
> Anyway just reporting that so far the 32 bit install and the 64 bit
> install
> is Exactly the same. So I am expecting that after install my cpu speed
> will
> still be reported LOW (997M vs a 2.4GiG for a 4000+ cpu).
>
> Any experiences out there with the 64 bit amd and maximizing speed when
> plugged in whould be appreciated.

Keep us posted.  I'm going to get a smaller/lighter laptop for
travelling and was thinking of putting 4.2 on my R3000.  I've only got a
lowly 3400+ <grin> so hopefully the speed issue gets sorted out.  So
far, this has been a great laptop, but it's a bit on the heavy side.

Cheers,