[CentOS] compaq r4000 32 bit and 64 bit install

Tue Dec 13 22:33:43 UTC 2005
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

Jerry Geis wrote:

>/ Gents,
/>/
/>/ I first installed the 32 bit version (as you might have read) of
/>/ centos 4.2,
/>/ after downloading x86_64 the install process/progress is about the same.
/>/ going VERY slow...
/>/
/>/ The screen for formatting the partitions took a LONG time
/>/ (3 partitions 10 GIG, 2 GIG swap and 50 GIG).
/>/ While on that screen and moving the mouse it lagged big time and
/>/ could not keep up.
/>/
/>/ Anyway just reporting that so far the 32 bit install and the 64 bit
/>/ install
/>/ is Exactly the same. So I am expecting that after install my cpu speed
/>/ will
/>/ still be reported LOW (997M vs a 2.4GiG for a 4000+ cpu).
/>/
/>/ Any experiences out there with the 64 bit amd and maximizing speed when
/>/ plugged in whould be appreciated.

Quick update... On the Installing packages screen normally I
see something like 15 minutes to install with this 64 bit 4000+
installing x86_64 it is posting 55 minutes.

This is what I mean by slooooow..

I hope I find what the deal is soon. I check in the BIOS and saw no
settings. Only enable disable motherboard devices.

Jerry

/