[CentOS] 64bit amd 3700++ and they don't want me to use ecc mem

Thu Dec 29 01:03:53 UTC 2005
rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>

oh, few days..maybe a week ago some of you might remember me posting
about installing x86 64 or i386 on a new barebones 64 I just got.
Anyway, I put it together...install the 64 bit..and yes, it did kinda
act strange..first...strange color broadcasts during boot up like when
it went thru "X". ...stayed up for bout 20 mins ... 1/2 hr and locked
up...I do run off of a kvm switch and the signals I got I did think it
was the memory so I took it out and rma back to tigerdirect right away
and put a 512mb c3 in place of the 1024mb non buffered mem I THOUGHT was
bad. :sigh:
meanwhile for days It just seemed like this system was fighting me...I
would try running the scripts I was testing on...it would lock up shut
down or whatever..

well, this system consists of:

Mach Speed K8M8MS board
64 AMD 3700+ Clawhammer processor
(It came with) 1gb pc3200 400mhz ddr mem

well I finally called Mach Speed...she connected me to level 2
support...nice guy "Tim" ...w/the random beeps that it was also putting
out etc...he thought it most probably the processor...  he did question
mny power supply (500 watt brand new) as well.  I called TigerDirect and
got an RMA on the Processor as per Mach Speed's recomendations  That's
where it's at now.
(sorry for being windy it will get better)
lately...memory has been bugging me!!! kinda dwell on it...even thinking
ecc registered even w/the new chipkill tech would be best...
today I call Mach Speed Tech back and ask him bout which memory he
suggests for that board...I told him I wanted ecc...He tells me nope!
wow..He stated, only if the board is a rated "server" motherboard should
I use ecc...I told him I say...I am using this board as a
server ...didn't care...I guess this is a low end board or
whatever...only thing I know is that Mach Speed is the only MB around
that gives a lifetime warranty but so what... so that was my point and I
thought maybe some of y'all might find that interesting as I did...
Don't use ecc memory...Wow!!!  blew me away!

I wanted y'all to hear this meanwhile I have lots of replies on a find
command deal I am wrapped up in and noway I have time tonite  lol

thx y'all

John Rose
--
When a man's around a woman wearing leather clothing, His heart starts
beating faster...get's weak knees...throat gets dry...thinks