[CentOS] 64bit amd 3700++ and they don't want me to use ecc mem -- CPU, not mainboard

Thu Dec 29 01:22:21 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

rado <rado at rivers-bend.com> wrote:
> lately...memory has been bugging me!!! kinda dwell on
> it...even thinking ecc registered even w/the new chipkill
> tech would be best...
> today I call Mach Speed Tech back and ask him bout which
> memory he suggests for that board...I told him I wanted
> ecc...He tells me nope!  wow..He stated, only if the board
> is a rated "server" motherboard should I use ecc...
> I told him I say...I am using this board as a server ...

It's not the mainboard.  It's the processor.

The memory controller is on the _CPU_, _not_ the mainboard or
its chipsets.  There are literally 368 traces on a
Socket-939/940 mainboard to its DIMMs -- 2 sets of 184-pin
DDR.

AMD Socket-939 uses Unregistered
AMD Socket-940 uses Registered

AMD Athlon 64 are configured to use non-ECC
AMD Opteron are configured to use non-ECC or ECC

So if you want unregistered ECC, get a Socket-939 Opteron
If you want registered ECC, get a Socket-940 Opteron
If you want to use unregistered, non-ECC, get Socket-939 A64

The BIOS/POST/ACPI is going to be so configured,
respectively, on Socket-939 and 940 mainboards, depending on
what CPU is inserted.  There may be "hacks" to support
otherwise on some mainboards, but I seriously doubt it is
well supported/reliable.

AMD is very anal on this product alignment.

> didn't care...I guess this is a low end board or
whatever...

No offense, but obviously.  ;->
You don't use desktop mainboards for servers.
It's the reason why I won't buy a Sun SunFire X2100 either.

> only thing I know is that Mach Speed is the only
> MB around that gives a lifetime warranty but so what...

I typically _avoid_ TigerDirect for various reasons.
Their overmarketing of crap is a big one.  ;->

> so that was my point and I thought maybe some of y'all
might
> find that interesting as I did...
> Don't use ecc memory...Wow!!!  blew me away!

Not if you know the first thing about how Athlon 64 and
Opteron differ from AMD's strategy.  ;->

Furthermore, many Intel desktop chipsets/CPUs do _not_
support ECC either.  But with AMD, it's the CPU itself --
*NOT* the mainboard.

> I wanted y'all to hear this

Actually, you're just introducing false
assumptions/information.

For servers, use AMD Opteron.  They have Socket-939 single
socket (including dual-core) versions now that can use
lower-costing, unregistered, ECC memory.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
*** Speed doesn't kill, difference in speed does ***