[CentOS] centos 4.2 update - help!

Thu Dec 29 04:42:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 10:53 +0800, Terry Tai wrote:
> Hello
> I have installed centos 4.2 in dell poweredge 850. but  I found that
> when I launch up2date to do a update action, it always get time out
> problem. just like
>
> error while retrieving package gtk 2-2.14.13-18
> the message is time out
>
> any one can give some help

sounds like you can't connect to a mirror.centos.org mirror ...

I am connecting fine right now doing a 4.1 install and upgrade to 4.2

(although it is slower than I would like :)

Your best bet is to pick a mirror that is close to you geographically
from here:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

Browse to the mirror in your web browser and make sure it responds fast
for your ... pick the best / fastest mirror for your location.

then edit the file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and look for:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos  and replace it with the info for a
mirror for all the enabled repos ... for example if this mirror was
closest:

US    OH    JTL Networks

Then you would replace http://mirror.centos.org/centos with
http://mirrors.jtlnet.com/centos/

IF http is causing you problems, try ftp://mirrors.jtlnet.com/centos/

(again, if that is the fastest mirror from your location)