[CentOS] RPM conflicts - help!

Fri Dec 30 17:04:00 UTC 2005
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 14:00, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> Well I thought this was going to do it - it worked fine on the 32-bit
> CentOS. But, in the 64 bit one, the compat-libs installs a 32 bit binary
> into the /usr/lib64 directory, even though the rpm file is clearly marked
> 64...

The compat RPM's source RPM isn't.  That is, the source RPM is actually a
pre-package of binaries, not buildable source, made from a binary tarball of
the libpq.so.3 and associated libs.  I had to rebuild the source tarball for
my UltraSPARC myself, when building and installing PG 8.1 on Aurora 2.0 on my
Enterprise 6500.

So an rpmbuild --rebuild of the compat libs will, on any architecture you care
to mention, install the i386 libs.  This includes SPARC, PPC, Alpha, etc.
You will have to install/build the previous libs (7.4.8 is current CentOS 4),
make the tarball, modify the SPEC, and build that way.  It IS a kludge, but
what other way to do it smoothly without including 10MB of PostgreSQL source
code in the source RPM?  The postgresql-rpm building group would love to see
the solution.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology