[Centos] Red Hat Legal Targets www.centos.org website content

Mon Feb 14 19:06:45 UTC 2005
Benjamin J. Weiss <benjamin at birdvet.org>

Ho Chaw Ming wrote:

>On legal grounds they have to object. If not they lose the rights to the
>trademark if they ever need to go to court to fight a case. Their lawyers
>would be the one jumping up and down and for good reason. They have to keep
>their trademark (or lose the rights to it by simply not objecting others
>usage of it)

I disagree.  If they were only interested in protecting their trademark,
they wouldn't have thrown in that crazy line about not linking to their
website without permission.

I don't get it.  Red Hat has been pissing off their community for about
a year now.  Would somebody care to explain to me how that makes good
business sense?

I guess that Microsoft is ecstatic.  If Red Hat pisses off enough
customers, it weakens linux as a whole.

Just my $0.02,

Ben