[CentOS] The connection was refused when attemptingtocontacthostname:5500

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:24:53 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Joeffrey Betita <jmbetita at infoplus.com.ph> wrote:
> hello
> Jim i did what you suggested. but after typing "emctl start dbconsole" all i
> get is a failed connection error message.
> what should i do next? i'm lost. thanks for your help.

I've not had the (dis)pleasure of running an oracle db so I can't say
exactly. All I can do is point you in a direction that makes sense.
First thing is to double check that iptables is not interfering.
"service iptables off". Second, there is probably a config file for
the db that acts as a master control, for mysql it's /etc/my.cnf etc.
No clue what it is for oracle, but check it to be sure it's not
blocking anything there. You can always lock it down later. I seem to
recall something about oracle environment variables that have to be
set, and oracle requiring a shell other than /sbin/nologin or
/bin/false. No clue how accurate this is.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT