[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Tom admin at homemachine.net
Wed Jul 27 16:35:55 UTC 2005

Steve Huff wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Tom wrote:
>
>> this is the contents of my /etc/yum.conf, paste it in yours
>

> corollary advice (that will remain valid for a while, no matter what
> Linux/BSD/whatever you're playing with):
>
> when Some Guy On The Internet sends you a chunk of text and tells you
> to paste it into a config file and run some command, BEFORE you do so
> you should take a look at the chunk of text and make sure you have a
> pretty good idea what it does and why.
>
> some commands that may help:
>
> $ man yum.conf
> (that's the file he suggests you edit)
>
> $ man yum
> (that's the program configured by yum.conf)
>
> -steve
>
> p.s. in addition, when you're looking for CentOS-specific build/
> installation instructions, you'll have the best luck if you try
> instructions that are designed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, as  that's
> the commodity distro on which CentOS is based.  i'd recommend  staying
> away from Fedora packages as a general rule.
>
> i infer from some of your previous comments that you're looking to  run
> CentOS on your desktop machine (since you're talking about DVD  drives
> and Xine and so forth).  if you want a pleasant desktop  experience
> where things Just Work, i'd recommend you buy a Mac like  Bryan said.
> running Linux on the desktop is a painful and laborious  experience, and
> is likely to be so for the foreseeable future.  it's  a different story
> when you're talking about server applications,  though...

he seems to have a good understanding of what he's doing, even after
only 3 weeks but you're right, check what people tell you :D

I was getting sick of the bickering, good thing for a newbie to see
isn't it???

I run kde on centos 3 & 4 on P4's and it does everything and more, even
usb voip phone works :)

Some Guy

tom