[CentOS] Hot swap CPU

Fri Jul 8 21:34:49 UTC 2005
Bruno Delbono <bruno.s.delbono at mail.ac>

Bruno Delbono wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
>> There _are_ systems with hot-swap CPUs, memory and/or, PCI[-X] slots.
>> They are _not_ commodity and pricey, and require OS-level support.
>

> Sun EXX00 + series running UltraSparc II and above have pretty much hot
> swapable everything: cpu, memory, disks etc.
>
> And they are cheap on ebay these days (8-24 way 400 Mhz US-II (64-bit),
> with anywhere from 2-14 GB memory and FC-AL IO etc. EX500).

I'm really sorry to start this thread again but I found something very
interesting I thought everyone should ^at least^ have a look at:

http://uadmin.blogspot.com/2005/06/4-dual-xeon-vs-e4500.html

This article takes into account a comparision of 4 dual xeon vs. e4500.
The author (not me!) talks about "A Shootout Between Sun E4500 and a
Linux Redhat3.0 AS Cluster Using Oracle10g [the cluster walks away limping]"

Warm Regards,

-Bruno