[CentOS] Hot swap CPU

Fri Jul 8 23:33:35 UTC 2005
Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

On Friday 08 July 2005 17:34, Bruno Delbono wrote:
> I'm really sorry to start this thread again but I found something very
> interesting I thought everyone should ^at least^ have a look at:
>
> http://uadmin.blogspot.com/2005/06/4-dual-xeon-vs-e4500.html
>
> This article takes into account a comparision of 4 dual xeon vs. e4500.
> The author (not me!) talks about "A Shootout Between Sun E4500 and a
> Linux Redhat3.0 AS Cluster Using Oracle10g [the cluster walks away
> limping]"

Bruno, you can make benchmarks say whatever you want - and this one seems to
be one of the worst distortions I've seen in a while.

I know from personal experience that this isn't even close. dual xeon
2.0Ghz/4GB is about the same performance as a quad 450Mhz E4500/4GB in
everything we're doing...

The TPC-C benchmarks (only official, impartial benchmarks I could find) are
even worse:
dual 3.6Ghz scored 63464
14 way 464Mhz E4500 scored 67103

Oracle has a word doc on their website talking about performance of a E4500 vs
a Dell box (http://download-west.oracle.com/owsf_2003/Oracleworld2003.doc)
where a quad xeon beats a quad E4500 by about 60% - and that was a quad
700Mhz P3 based Xeon...

Go search google for Xeon and E4500 and you'll see tons more of these
benchmarks - and they all tell the same story...

Peter.