[CentOS] CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Fri Jul 15 22:21:42 UTC 2005
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Robert Hanson wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Can anyone relate experience(s) installing CentOS on Compaq rack mount
>servers units please?
>
>Easy no problem, easy some issues, or ghastly do not do it under any
>circumstances... ;)
>
>Basically, I'm looking at some used/refurb dual PIII units and will run RAID
>on Compaq built in SCSI or is it easy to pop in some 3ware SATA in them?
>
>Let me know in terms of CentOS 3 and/or 4 please.
>
>Regards and TIA,
>
> - rh

Depending on age of the 1850s and it seems all the 1600s have an issue
when Anaconda is trying to detect USB. Do a no usb install on those.
Also, on the 1850, if you're using a raid card, you may need to disable
the onboard raid as it can be touchy. Otherwise, I have 3000Rs, 1850Rs,
DL360Rs (which i won't buy again as these have been the most unreliable)
and DL380s, all happily chugging along on ver 3 and ver 4 installs. I
did hit some snags with LVM conflicts. I think the proprietary scsi
conflicted, but setting up with disk druid has always been reliable.

John Hinton