[CentOS] CentOS on Compaq Proliant Rackmount Servers

Fri Jul 15 23:21:32 UTC 2005
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Mark A. Lewis wrote:

>>Depending on age of the 1850s and it seems all the 1600s have
>>an issue when Anaconda is trying to detect USB. Do a no usb
>>install on those.
>>Also, on the 1850, if you're using a raid card, you may need
>>to disable the onboard raid as it can be touchy. Otherwise, I
>>have 3000Rs, 1850Rs, DL360Rs (which i won't buy again as
>>these have been the most unreliable) and DL380s, all happily
>>chugging along on ver 3 and ver 4 installs. I did hit some
>>snags with LVM conflicts. I think the proprietary scsi
>>conflicted, but setting up with disk druid has always been reliable.
>>
>>John Hinton
>>

>Let me guess, power supply fan failures on the 360's? If it helps, the
>newer ones have come a long way.

That's the start, but the replacement was supposed to be 'fixed'. But I
don't understand it shutting down instead of issueing a warning when
only one of the three PS fans dies. And all this happens almost to the
day from manufacture. I had one in a colo situation where they had
three... all made within a few months of one another and all had the
same failures within those same months of one another.

Then next comes the processor fan........ then the power supply.....
then ..... I just think they tried to make it too small (1u) personally.
All in a nice clean room with good heating/cooling. The 380s seem to be
light years ahead in superiority. I would hope the new 360s are better,
but somehow I have my doubts. I'm hearing some grumblings about various
blade servers being short lived as well. (and I don't mean 1u servers,
even though compaq/hp like to call the 360s blades). I just feel like
there are limits to what can be done in a given space... although on
many things that space keeps getting smaller.

Gimme' a new version of the Proliant 7000!!! LOL!!! ;)

John Hinton