[CentOS] Re: IDE RAID support

Fri Jul 22 02:23:25 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <alex at milivojevic.org>

Nick Bryant wrote:
> Indeed. I freaked out when I couldn't get my sata promise raid controlling
> working in Acer Altos series servers... Till I read an article that said in
> 2.4 its actually just as quick (if not quicker, depending on server
> hardware) to let the kernel deal with the raid stuff.

Exactly.  The rule of the thumb is, if you setup RAID in BIOS, and when
you boot Linux still sees individual drives, you don't have real RAID
controller.

That fake RAID stuff has only one purpuse.  To allow users of Windows XP
Home/Professional to have software RAID.  If Microsoft shipped software
RAID drivers with Home/Professional (like they do with Server), those
fake RAID controllers would never exist.  Or to be more correct, the
controllers would exist (since they are basically just regular SATA
controllers), but you wouldn't see word RAID mentioned anywhere on them,
and there would be no RAID settings in their BIOS.