[CentOS] New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Wed Jul 27 14:31:17 UTC 2005
Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> Centos Mailing List,
>
>    Hello. I have just recently installed CentOS on my home computer, and
> just joined this mailing list. I have a lot of questions so I will have
> quite a few postings in the next few days.

Feel free to ask here. You might also want to look through the mail list
archives and the website forums, to see if the issues have been
previously addressed.

>   Anyway, long story short, CentOS looks and feels just like Fedora
> (which I like), and it reads all my DVD drives normally, so I think I
> could be happy with it.

cool :) happy is good.

>   But...
>   When I tried to install Xine, using yum, it said it could not find it.
> And then I went looking for an RPM for Xine, and they're all for Red Hat
> or Fedora. I tried installing an RPM for Fedora anyway, reasoning that
> maybe they were the same in more than just looks, but no dice.

there are a few repo's that host Xine build for CentOS ( remember  RHEL
packages work here fine ).  Ugo has already pointed out Dag's repository...

>   As I looked around the net, it seems that applications all seem to
> have specific builds for Red Hat, Fedora, a couple of Debian builds...
> but no CentOS. Going by the amount of available information and support,

CentOS is based on the Redhat Codebase, you can safely use any related
RHEL3 repository for CentOS3 and RHEL4 repository for CentOS4.

There are a few external repo's listed here :
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=438&forum=28

>   Can't I have it all? Stability, the ability to read my DVD drives,
> *and* a variety of applications?

Yes you can. And CentOS is the place its at. Fedora moves to quick,
breaks often.

>    Is there any kind of resource for instructions on installing CentOS
> like there is this one for Fedora:
>    http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

There is a large Documentation set hosted at http://www.centos.org/docs/
 you should be able to find most install instructions, setup and some
basic stuff on system admin too.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/