[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Thu Jul 28 02:17:22 UTC 2005
Bill Diamond <bill at billdiamond.com>

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 22:00 -0500, ryan wrote:

> >>I have Linux running on a Desktop machine, and 2 laptops. Installing,
> >>updating and using Linux on them has been great and not at all a"painful
> >>and laborious  experience".
> >>
> >>For the technically savvy, and those who aren't afraid to learn, Linux
> >>is an excellent desktop OS.
> >

> > Yes, but for many things you take for granted under commercial OS's
> > like playing music and videos you'll have to do some non-obvious
> > and legally questionable things to do the same on Linux.
> >

> The legal argument is a sword that cuts both ways. Commercial OS's have
> issues I never need to deal with on Linux. On Windows, if I run MS
> Anti-spyware running while I have Kazaa installed, I am violating the
> agreement I made when I installed Kazaa!*

I don't think Kazaa's legalese will withstand any challenge,
particularly when it comes to the question of informed consent.  That
is, the makers of Kazaa would have to demonstrate they gave you ample
information before, during or after the installation of their product
that it included other components that captured and shared personal
information, that despite much publicity about the security issues in
their product they neglected to provide methods for removing the
security vulnerabilities, etc.

> * http://www.kazaa.com/us/terms2.htm
> "you will not take any action, including downloading other software
> which modifies, is intended to modify or permits others to modify
> registry or other settings on your computer to, disable, remove, block,
> prevent the functioning of, or otherwise interfere with any of the
> Embedded Third Party Software."

</snicker>
This looks like they're digging their own hole deeper by asserting
ownership over your assets but not providing adequate methods for
protection of your assets.

Bill