[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Wed Jul 27 15:30:53 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

>He went to Fedora Core 3 to get a package for CentOS.
>
>Knowing that FC4 is a new ".0" release and uses GCC 4 is
>very, very pretinent to why you're going to have build issues
>on RHEL4 (and CentOS4)!  And that's why he needs to stick
>with FC3 if he's going to attempt to use packages from Fedora
>for CentOS4!

I'm the "he" in question, and for me there was no "sticking" with FC3. I
only made the commitment to move from Windows to Linux a few weeks ago,
and FC4 is the only distribution they make available on Fedora's own
site, so I assumed it was the current one.

So, I started with FC4, thinking it was merely the most recent, not
realizing that it was actually a bleeding edge experimental version.

On the Fedora Mailing list, someone recommended that I go with CentOS.
But now that I'm here, I'm starting to regret it a bit. While Karanbir's
posting helps, some of the links I chased down and my attempts to set up
repositories have not worked so far and it's frustrating.

This is probably just frustration talking, but at this point, I'm
missing Windows. At least with Windows, there is far less confusion
about versions and compatibility. Ditto for Mac. I've been experimenting
with Linux for three weeks now, and I still have no idea which
distribution actually works, let alone which will suit my needs. I have
no idea what I gain or lose by choosing Debian builds over Red Hat
builds or vice versa... and I've read reviews and distro watch and all
that. I'm drowning in a sea of choices, and not in a good way.

Dave