[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Wed Jul 27 15:41:36 UTC 2005
Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org>

Hi Dave,

Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I'm the "he" in question, and for me there was no "sticking" with FC3. I
> only made the commitment to move from Windows to Linux a few weeks ago,
> and FC4 is the only distribution they make available on Fedora's own
> site, so I assumed it was the current one.

Fedora is by-design a faster moving distro, and issues that are
inherited from this state-of-mind, are things you live with, if you are
a Fedora user.

> On the Fedora Mailing list, someone recommended that I go with CentOS.
> But now that I'm here, I'm starting to regret it a bit. While Karanbir's
> posting helps, some of the links I chased down and my attempts to set up
> repositories have not worked so far and it's frustrating.

If you can be more specific, maybe we can help ? Which repository are
you looking at / facing problems with ?

If you need a more 'real time' help situation  try dropping into the
#centos irc channel at irc.freenode.net, usually people are friendly and
helpful, more so if you ask nicely.

> This is probably just frustration talking, but at this point, I'm
> missing Windows. At least with Windows, there is far less confusion
> about versions and compatibility. Ditto for Mac. I've been experimenting

Maybe you wont miss Windows that much, when you realise that a few
months down the road - the machine is still stable, you dont have to
worry about virus' and things-just-work, once you know how. And they
just keep on working.

Just today we had to shutdown a machine that had uptime since 22nd of
Nov 2001, and handled major data traffic each day.

> with Linux for three weeks now, and I still have no idea which
> distribution actually works, let alone which will suit my needs. I have
> no idea what I gain or lose by choosing Debian builds over Red Hat
> builds or vice versa... and I've read reviews and distro watch and all
> that. I'm drowning in a sea of choices, and not in a good way.

Which distro you chose, is something that you decide on. I am not going
to go in with pitching for and against any distro. Each has its own
issues / benefits.

But, any issues you face with CentOS, we'll try and help with.

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc