[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Wed Jul 27 22:36:55 UTC 2005
ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net>

Steve Huff wrote:
>snip<
>
> i infer from some of your previous comments that you're looking to  run
> CentOS on your desktop machine (since you're talking about DVD  drives
> and Xine and so forth).  if you want a pleasant desktop  experience
> where things Just Work, i'd recommend you buy a Mac like  Bryan said.
> running Linux on the desktop is a painful and laborious  experience, and
> is likely to be so for the foreseeable future.  it's  a different story
> when you're talking about server applications,  though...
>
> ---
> If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
> improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

I have Linux running on a Desktop machine, and 2 laptops. Installing,
updating and using Linux on them has been great and not at all a"painful
and laborious  experience".

For the technically savvy, and those who aren't afraid to learn, Linux
is an excellent desktop OS.