[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Wed Jul 27 22:55:01 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 17:36, ryan wrote:

> > i infer from some of your previous comments that you're looking to  run
> > CentOS on your desktop machine (since you're talking about DVD  drives
> > and Xine and so forth).  if you want a pleasant desktop  experience
> > where things Just Work, i'd recommend you buy a Mac like  Bryan said.
> > running Linux on the desktop is a painful and laborious  experience, and
> > is likely to be so for the foreseeable future.  it's  a different story
> > when you're talking about server applications,  though...
> >

> I have Linux running on a Desktop machine, and 2 laptops. Installing,
> updating and using Linux on them has been great and not at all a"painful
> and laborious  experience".
>
> For the technically savvy, and those who aren't afraid to learn, Linux
> is an excellent desktop OS.

Yes, but for many things you take for granted under commercial OS's
like playing music and videos you'll have to do some non-obvious
and legally questionable things to do the same on Linux.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com