[CentOS] Re: New to CentOS, and wondering about application availability

Thu Jul 28 12:44:57 UTC 2005
Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

On Thursday 28 July 2005 00:44, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> What drive?  What disc format?  What program created them?  If you
> haven't guessed, longterm DVD "reliability" is a technical interest of
> mine.  Why?  Because I've been using DVD as a backup for Linux since
> early 1998 -- yes, _1998_, on Linux!
>
> (and no, the drive didn't cost me $10,000, it was $500, brand freak'n
> new, list price)

*sighs* BS level exceeded...

* The first DVD-R drives under $1000 did not appear until 2001.
* The list price in 1998 was $17000 for the only available drive by pioneer.
* DVD-R(G) was not even available until 1999 - so if you had a DVD-R(A) drive,
then the media are not comparable to what is out now, and all your BS has no
relevance about current media.
* Linux DVD writing software did not appear until way after 1998 (growisofs,
cdrecord patches, ...) so what software were you using?

Of course I could be wrong. If so, please tell me:

* What model of drive did you own?
* What software you used to write to it.
* Where you were even able to get your hands on a drive in early 1998 at that
price.

> 9 times out of 10, when someone else is supposedly "sticking up for
> newbies, grannies, etc..." someone already has an agenda with me, and
> it's just the excuse.  And then the so-called newbie _really_ gets to
> see what Linux is all about (bickering, right?  NOT!).

Psychologically a very good idea to post that... Discount other's opinions
before they even stated them... Too bad its wrong in this case.
Most people that get into a long drawn out argument with you on this list do
it because you're clearly wrong and as technical people, we just don't like
incorrect statements.

Peter.