[CentOS] Tyan Thunder K8SE S2892 Report

Thu Jul 28 22:58:54 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 15:37 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> It's the EPS 12V. Tyan's website is *very* clear about which PSU is
> required.

Correct.  Some people claim that some of the ATX2.0's work with the
EPS12V pin-out.  I doubt that, but I do know there _are_ "universal"
ATX, ATX12V, ATX2.0, EPS12V power supplies from Enermax and others.  I
was curious if Antec's was as well.

Other than the 24-pin connector, the 8-pin (4x2) SSI Server connector is
the biggie.  That's what gives you not only extra +12V rails, but more
importantly, +3.3V rails -- something the P4 doesn't.

> Its pretty clear that it's an EATX case. My bad. Do you have an SSI EEB
> case you like?

In the rackmount space there are plenty.
The 3U route seems to be best, because:

1)  They typically have the best price for the expansion point

2)  You can typically use standard ATX/EPS12V power supplies for non-
redundant (as well as pay more for a 1+1 or 2+1 setup)

3)  You can typically fit full height expansion cards

4)  You typically get 1-3 sets of 3U x 3U (5.25") bays

If you have even more drives (16+), I'd go for a full pedestal setup.
Just get one that you can always rackmount later (as 6-8U).

> I'll go back and look, but I didn't see any entry specifically for
> PowerNow. Plus as I said, installing kernel 2.6.12.3 fixed the errors.

And that's great news.  I've been installing the older Opterons in the
past.  I actually haven't setup an Opteron server in over 3 months now
(I believe?), only Athlon 64s in desktops.

> Will do. I'll run the benchmarks tonight.

Well, don't do it for my benefit.  I don't want to create work for you.
But if you're still testing, it's always a consideration.

Especially with 4 disks, which is ideal for RAID-10 without losing much
usable storage over RAID-5 (only 33%).

Just remember to update your 3Ware 9w-xxxx driver and firmware, as well
as 3DM2.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->