[CentOS] Re: dragging windows leaves traces -- running older GeForce drivers on newer cards

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 17:07:43 UTC 2005

From: Sukru TIKVES <sukru at cs.hacettepe.edu.tr>
> Looks like I've complete misunderstood the issue.
> Actually I've never thought it would still be problem.
> I usually feel no difference between windows and linux.

Correct.  But in select operations, you are seeing this.

That could be an application-specific setting, including the Window
Manager which includes a number of applications.  It's using a very
slow, software-based set of buffers/overlays as you move the
windows.

Or it could be that application is attempting to use functions that
implemented differently on newer GeForce cards than the driver
which was designed for an older release.  It's just hard to tell
without seeing it or getting more, exact information.

> Nevertheless as others mentioned it may be a window manager
> (metacity is famed as "slow") or a Gtk2 issue (Gtk2 is getting
> faster with each release aster 2.0).

I've never had an issue myself, and I've been running with nVidia
cards with both the MIT XFree86/Xorg "nv" and nVidia "nvidia"
since first-generation NV0x Riva TNT/GeForce series on every
GNOME 1.2+ through the latest 2.x revisions.

I think either a setting is enabled, something Linux supports,
but typically via software with a massive performance hit (much
like what will happen with Avalon/WGF1.0 in the initial NT6.0
"Longhorn" release ;-), or you have a driver that is not current
for your card and using functions that are deprecated or requires
newer options.

> Sorry for the irrelevant comments.

I don't think they were irrelevant.
At this point, the door is still very open on what the cause is.

Again, it sounds like either an app setting or an app X11 call/
extension that the driver doesn't do well because it's dated.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org