[CentOS] Re: dragging windows leaves traces -- running older GeForce drivers on newer cards

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 17:16:45 UTC 2005

From: Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv>
> Is it possible that some windowing libraries are responsible for slow
> re-drawing.  Re-sizing firefox seems slow, but resizing any native kde
> application is quick.
> resizing adobe acrobat reader is amazing slow, and moving the window
> around the screen leaves a tracing streak.

Ah-ha!  Now that's some info that might provide a lead.

Are you using KDE as your desktop?  If so, it is Qt widget library based.
Firefox is GTK+-based, and Acrobat is statically linked to Motif.
If you can give more examples, maybe we can confirm this.

Qt/KDE is built with some optional X11 (RENDER?) extensions which don't
play nice with non-Qt apps (Xt, Xaw, GTK+, Motif, etc...).  Didn't know this
was the case on CentOS, or maybe it's some other configuration?

I use GTK+/GNOME (gdm/nautilus/metacity session/file/window manager).

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org