[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri Jun 24 03:06:08 UTC 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 22:18, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> > So instead of working about the latest'n greatest Opteron mainboard, see
> > if you an find a $300 dual-Opteron mainboard with the AMD8131 that
> > supports dual-core.
>
> Okay, there's the challenge kiddies! Who can come up with an actual
> in-stock SKU that I can pay real $$$ for? I love Bryan's knowledge and
> information. Really, I do! But my choices *end* with the motherboards a
> retailer can put into my UPS driver's hands.
>
> Bryan, I wish I could force Tyan, Asus and all the rest to make your
> perfect design. But I can't. I'm sorry. ;)

The board: Asus K8N-DL
http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=174&model=456&modelmenu=1

The dual core support: In bios 1004
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K8N-DL

The place to buy: ZipZoomFly.com among others - $274.99 (free shipping)
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240430
or NewEgg $270.00 (plus shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131059&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Motherboards
both in stock :-)

Only two issues with the board - memory support is supposedly not so great and
Asus themselves claims the board doesn't exist :-) Go to their webpage and go
through the links - no dual opteron boards... Go to the search box, enter the
name of the board and you'll get all you need though...

Peter.