[CentOS] Re: Directory Server for CentOS 4.1

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 17:25:35 UTC 2005

From: Avtar Gill <avtargill at gmail.com>
> I can't comment about that directory server but I have been using Novell
> eDirectory on CentOS 3.* without any problems.  Considering that it's
> utilized in numerous universities and government organizations around
> the world, I would say it's definitely production grade software.

Just know that I've seen NsDS deployed in 10,000+ node networks
going back to the late '90s.

I don't think people realize what deal the community has gotten thanx
to yet another Red Hat purchase released, as always, 100% GPL.

OpenLDAP wasn't cutting it IMHO, and Red Hat refuses to offer solutions
that aren't GPL.  Hence why they came to an arrangement with AOL to
see NsDS GPL'd after they "gave up" on OpenLDAP.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org