[CentOS] Re: 32/48-bit virtual addressing in 20/32/36/52-bit physical addressing -- WAS: Memory Models and Multi/Virtual-Cores

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Wed Jun 29 04:14:55 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 23:50, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 23:12 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> > Yes - what exactly was that page in what manual that says "PAE52" ?
<snip> loooong paragraph cut

> That's why we refer to it as PAE 52-bit, or PAE52 for short.  To
                   ^^^^ we? I should be better :-)
> differentiate from a processor that only does PAE 36-bit, PAE36 for
> short.  Most of the time, AMD calls it x86-64 PAE.

Sorry for having you type that much. My fault since I was not clear with my
question.

I was simply wondering if you were referring to the long modes as defined by
AMD or if that was yet another unknown concept - maybe you should use the
acronymes as the manufacturers do instead of inventing your own :-) keeps you
from having to type long emails like this :-)

Peter.