[CentOS] boot failure after install

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Jun 30 14:53:47 UTC 2005

Quoting Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>:

> Nothing beats grub's ability to let you roam around the filesystem to
> find out just what kernels were installed and what their
> configuration parameters were and then load a kernel and its
> parameters on the spot.

I agree that Grub is more featurefull boot loader with many nice
options. However, for my servers I simply want them to boot without
human intervention. Grub fails to do that more often than LILO.  Grub
needs extra work to get it
right on my servers (that have mirrored disks).  I don't care about nice
graphical menu (there's nobody in server room to watch it).  I don't
care about
Grub's CLI (there's nobody in server room in the middle of the night to
use it).
I just want system to boot every time.

For dedicated Linux servers, LILO works perfectly, out of the box, no
additional
work required.  Those boxes are simple to boot, no fancy stuff in boot loader
config files.  Grub is better when you have "complicated boot configuraion"
box.  And "complicated boot configuration" boxes are usually desktops and
laptops, especially those in hands of developers.