[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- LSB 2.1 Core Generic Section 8.5

Fri Jun 3 02:46:10 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 21:20 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> Actually, you can have runlevel 2 with out without networking.
> The only requirement is that NFS should not be enabled on
> 2. Also, on run level 5, XDM must be enabled. Those two are facts
> I know for sure.

Then about 75% of the UNIX-like world differs and differs wildly.

> Now, I know that you can have NFS either active or not on runlevel
> 3. So, while I was writing this, I figured I really don't remember
> any requirement that xdm MUST be disabled on runlevel 3. Only that
> it must be enabled on runlevel 5. Again, it might be wrong, and
> the requirement for runlevel 3 is there too. I really need to
> find that documentation.

I'm just trying to figure out what you're referring to.  LSB is the
only thing I can think of.

> Yes, I saw many Unix flavors that mostly use 2-3. Always with NFS
> disabled on 2. Sometimes network too, but not always. I never
> saw any unix flavors with XDM active on 3 off shelf. Of course,
> I have seen more than once admins configuring xdm on runlevel 3,
> and even a couple times starting xdm using rc.local. But that is
> besides the point here.
> Still looking ...

No rush.  I'm more curious now than anything.  If you say Connectiva was
using it as a point-of-reference, then I'm really just curious.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->