[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- LSB 2.1 Core Generic Section 8.5

Fri Jun 3 03:29:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:46:10PM -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 21:20 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> > Actually, you can have runlevel 2 with out without networking.
> > The only requirement is that NFS should not be enabled on
> > 2. Also, on run level 5, XDM must be enabled. Those two are facts
> > I know for sure.
>
> Then about 75% of the UNIX-like world differs and differs wildly.

Then 90%+ of UNIX flavors I used so far fall into that 25%. And
I have no mean UNIX experience either, even tho I don't call myself
a guru (SunOS, Solaris, OSF/1, HP/UX, lots of different Linuxes, AIX
from 2 up to 4). And I was a professional AIX admin (inside IBM)
for some time, so at least for that one I can testify with deep
knowledge.

> > Now, I know that you can have NFS either active or not on runlevel
> > 3. So, while I was writing this, I figured I really don't remember
> > any requirement that xdm MUST be disabled on runlevel 3. Only that
> > it must be enabled on runlevel 5. Again, it might be wrong, and
> > the requirement for runlevel 3 is there too. I really need to
> > find that documentation.
>
> I'm just trying to figure out what you're referring to.  LSB is the
> only thing I can think of.

LSB only refers to Linux. The standard I'm talking about predates
LSB.

> > Yes, I saw many Unix flavors that mostly use 2-3. Always with NFS
> > disabled on 2. Sometimes network too, but not always. I never
> > saw any unix flavors with XDM active on 3 off shelf. Of course,
> > I have seen more than once admins configuring xdm on runlevel 3,
> > and even a couple times starting xdm using rc.local. But that is
> > besides the point here.
> > Still looking ...
>
> No rush.  I'm more curious now than anything.  If you say Connectiva was
> using it as a point-of-reference, then I'm really just curious.

Errr, I never made such a claim :) I said I was using it when I was
working for Conectiva. As a matter of fact, I was following a lot of
standards that Conectiva never mandated. Just my old paranoid side
speaking :)

[]s

- --