[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- LSB 2.1 Core Generic Section 8.5

Fri Jun 3 05:24:33 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 00:29 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> Then 90%+ of UNIX flavors I used so far fall into that 25%.

UNIX or Linux?

If Linux, being that you were at Connectiva, then yes, anything formerly
Red Hat-based is typically going to be 2-3-5.

But what UNIX are you talking about?  System V style init scripts are
typically the foundation of anything post-1986 and non-BSD.  But there
was never any declared "run-level standards," and different UNIX flavors
vary.

> And I have no mean UNIX experience either, even tho I don't call myself
> a guru (SunOS, Solaris, OSF/1, HP/UX, lots of different Linuxes, AIX
> from 2 up to 4). And I was a professional AIX admin (inside IBM)
> for some time, so at least for that one I can testify with deep
> knowledge.

AIX is just one UNIX flavor.  I think you might be mistaking AIX as the
"standard" UNIX?  I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming
from.

> Errr, I never made such a claim :) I said I was using it when I was
> working for Conectiva. As a matter of fact, I was following a lot of
> standards that Conectiva never mandated. Just my old paranoid side
> speaking :)

Okay ... (still scratching my head)

If there is one thing I've learned to do, it's check the /etc/inittab
or /etc/rc script the first time I get on a new UNIX/Linux flavor.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->