[CentOS] New to CentOS, miss Grip

Tue Jun 7 22:53:16 UTC 2005
Dick Roth <raroth7 at comcast.net>

Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> maybe the CD drive direct to sound card cable is missing?
>
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Dick Roth wrote:
>
>> Phil Schaffner wrote:

>>> Dag's repo has grip.  Just installed it on CentOS 4 with yum and had no
>>> dependency problems.
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo
>>> [dag]
>>> name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>>> baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag/
>>> enabled=0
>>> gpgcheck=1
>>>
>>> Phil

>> Thanks for the pointer, Phil.  Unfortunately, now I get no sound from
>> my CD player!  Weird!
>>
>> I know grip is "talking" to the CD because I can rip a disk and play
>> back the ogg encoded material, but not the CD directly.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Dick

No...I checked the physical connection first thing.  I had really
rebuilt my machine and have had little experience with this config (Asus
P4P800S as opposed to the, now blown, Intel D865PERL).

But no matter!  I tried using my other CD drive (read-only) and tried
almost all of the zillion slide controls in Gnome Mixer and found a
control that brought life to that other drive.

It's been a long day and I'm just happy to have any CD player lull me
into a well deserved stupor.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.  One of my joys is occasionally
being in touch with others in the user community.

Dick

--
Pithy saying goes here:  (future).