[CentOS] x86_64 duplicate packages problem with apt

Mon Jun 13 09:08:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 00:53 -0400, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Mo, den 13.06.2005 schrieb Robin Mordasiewicz um 2:20:
> >
> >> I installed Centos3.4-x86_64 and I notice that I get duplicate packages.
> >> i.e. I also notice that the duplate packages exist on the cd install as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> [root at bayamo RPMS]# rpm -qa | grep pam_krb
> >> pam_krb5-1.73-1
> >> pam_krb5-1.73-1
> >
> > x86_64 and i386 package version.
> >
> > rpm -q pam_krb --qf '%{name} %{version} - %{arch}'
> >
> >> when I use apt after downloading from Dag's site it complains about
> >> duplicate packages after running apt-get update.
> >>
> >> I am missing something to get my x86_64 system to update with apt the same
> >> way i386 system does, Mebbe someone can provide a hint.
> >
> > Use yum - apt isn't multiarch capable.
> >
> I rewrote my kickstart files to use yum.
> and everything is working perfectly fine now.
> Can you comment on why apt does not support multiple architectures ?

x86_64 chips can run both 32bit (i386) and 64bit (x86_64) programs, so
you might need to support both arches.

Apt isn't written to be able to resolve multiple library arch
dependencies.

All development on apt for rpm from Mandriva is stopped, the maintainers
are now doing SmartPM ( http://smartpm.org ).  Not sure how well (or if)
SmartPM does multilib arches.

That is why apt is not in the CentOS-4 base as a package manager and why
there is no x86_64 apt package (in CentOS extras) or x86_64 apt repo in
the tree. ( http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/apt/ )