[CentOS] x86_64 duplicate packages problem with apt

Mon Jun 13 14:46:01 UTC 2005
Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv>

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 00:53 -0400, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:

>>> x86_64 and i386 package version.
>>>
>>> rpm -q pam_krb --qf '%{name} %{version} - %{arch}'

>>> Use yum - apt isn't multiarch capable.
>>>
>> I rewrote my kickstart files to use yum.
>> and everything is working perfectly fine now.
>> Can you comment on why apt does not support multiple architectures ?
>
> x86_64 chips can run both 32bit (i386) and 64bit (x86_64) programs, so
> you might need to support both arches.
>
> Apt isn't written to be able to resolve multiple library arch
> dependencies.
>
> All development on apt for rpm from Mandriva is stopped, the maintainers
> are now doing SmartPM ( http://smartpm.org ).  Not sure how well (or if)
> SmartPM does multilib arches.
>
> That is why apt is not in the CentOS-4 base as a package manager and why
> there is no x86_64 apt package (in CentOS extras) or x86_64 apt repo in
> the tree. ( http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/apt/ )

:( thanks. too bad. I was growing fond of apt. I forgot what RPM-hell was.

Is it just me or is yum not nearly as capable at sorting out dependencies
across multiple repositories. I am using dag, dries, atrpms, and
kde-redhat rpms and with apt on a i386 system I never had to manually do
anything, but yum will just not sort things the same way.