[CentOS] recompile 1 kernel modules

Mon Jun 13 20:08:46 UTC 2005
Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com>

Sir,

After looking closely the 8250.c is not a module. It is compiled into
the kernel.
What is the shortes method to compile that file and rebuild what is
needed to
get it running.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Am Mo, den 13.06.2005 schrieb Jerry Geis um 20:56:

>/ How do I recomile just 1 kernel module. I want to recompile
/>/ serial/8250.c
/
>/ Jerry
/
copy&paste from the Fedora Core 4 release notes:

6.2.2.4. Building Only Kernel Modules
An exploded source tree is not required to build a kernel module, such
as your own device driver, against the currently in-use kernel.

For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following Makefile
in the directory containing the foo.c file:

obj-m := foo.o

KDIR  := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD   := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) M=$(PWD) modules

Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module.

Alexander