[CentOS] Buffer I/O error when booting

Wed Jun 22 17:37:27 UTC 2005
Nikos Zaharioudakis <nzahar at gmail.com>

try something like this.
fdisk -l /dev/hda    (no 1,2 etc just the drive)
if it gives you back some partition table then you have hope.
try to mount the drive with ro (read only option we do not need to
change anything on it, we just want the data)
If this fails for any reason, try to dd the whole disk to another
(good one) and then mounting and perhaps fsck might give you your data
back.
Try in the archive there was an excelent  post on this procedure just
a few days ago.

Best luck,

Nikos Zaharioudakis

On 6/22/05, Jean Lee <jean.lee at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with my server :
>
> Sometimes, this server is used to stop running. It doesn't shut down but
> it stops running (with a noise on the hard drive) and there's no other
> way to shut down than pushing the power button during a long time. I
> don't think that it comes from the hard drive because I have the same
> effect with two hard drives.
>
> Here comes the best : Today it stops running during boot procedure and
> now, when I reboot the server, I have the following error message :
>
> Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 0
> Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 1
> Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 2
> Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 3
> Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 5
> Buffer I/O error on /dev/hda2 device block 0
> etc...
>
> I have two questions :
>
> Is there a way to recover data on /dev/hda2 ? (I tried linux rescue but
> it didn't find the linux installation)
> Is there a way to know why the server stops suddenly to run ?
>
> Thank you for any help,
>
> Jean LEE

Zaharioudakis Nikos
mob: +30 6947204063
USE THE BEST . . .

Linux for servers . . .

       Macintosh for graphics . . .

             Palm for mobility . . .

                   Windows for solitaire!
If speed kills, then Windows Users may live forever