[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Wed Jun 22 20:36:50 UTC 2005
Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com>

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

  > And you're worried about a $125 (3Ware Escalade 8006-2) or
> $300 (3Ware Escalade 8506-4) controller?  Furthermore, the
> SATA on the nForce MCP is typically only a single, 133MBps
> PCIe x1 channel.  You'll get 533MBps out of the 8506-4
> in a PCI slot at 64-bit @ 66MHz.

Well, now you're giving me a reason to spend the money -- the 3Ware
ports have better performance than the nForce ports.

  >>Don't forget that a backup solution would depend on
>>hot-pluggability. That's why I was thinking of USB/IEEE-
>>1394.
>
> Mistake on a server.  You don't want to hot-plug
> consumer interconnects.  One issue, bam!  Kernel panic.

I wasn't clear that this is for *off-site* backup. I have plenty of
on-line backup going on. I need to be able to take the backup away so we
have something to fall back on when the building falls down, burns up or
otherwise goes away. Tape serves this function nicely. But a hard-drive
would be faster and more flexible.

Are you saying that USB/1394 hot-plugging is unstable or unreliable? Do
you possibly have any articles to point to?

Kirk Bocek