[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Thu Jun 23 04:31:09 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 15:36, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> I wasn't clear that this is for *off-site* backup. I have plenty of
> on-line backup going on. I need to be able to take the backup away so we
> have something to fall back on when the building falls down, burns up or
> otherwise goes away. Tape serves this function nicely. But a hard-drive
> would be faster and more flexible.
>
> Are you saying that USB/1394 hot-plugging is unstable or unreliable? Do
> you possibly have any articles to point to?

I've been trying to use software RAID with one partition on
internal IDE, the other on external firewire and it is not
reliable.  I suppose the fact that RHEL4 dropped firewire
support completely might be a hint.  It worked OK with
FC1 and the 2.4 kernel. The drive would not be detected
automatically, but with the right set of commands to
find it and add to the raid it would run fine.  FC2
did not work with firewire.  FC3 autodetects the drive
but crashes within a day or less if the RAID is active.
I've been unmounting the raid and adding the firewire drive
just long enough to re-sync, then removing it and it usually
works, but starting over, SATA might be a better choice.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com