[CentOS] yum upgrade on 3.4 and spamassassin

Wed Mar 30 14:39:18 UTC 2005
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Francois Caen wrote:
>
>> If I do a yum upgrade on 2 machines that have
>> perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.1-1 installed (3rd party rpm, more recent
>> than the CentOS/RHEL one):
>>
>> I will do the following:
>> [update: spamassassin 2.55-3.4.i386]
>

> If you do "rpm -q spamassassin", what do you get?

BTW, thinking of it more, is your (newer) SpamAssassin RPM called
"spamasassin" or "perl-Mail-SpamAssassin"?  If later, than you
introduced inconsistency into your distribution.  All packages that
might reference spamassasin in dependencies etc will reference it as
spamassassin, not as perl-Mail-SpamAssassin.  Also, yum can't really
deal with same package having different names.  As far as yum is
concerned, you do not have "spamassassin" installed on the system.  You
have "perl-Mail-SpamAssassin", and for yum, those are two completely
different packages.

I don't think there is a way to easilly rename RPM package short of
rebuilding it.

My advice, rebuild perl-Mail-SpamAssassin as "spamassassin".  The
easiest way is to fetch SRPM from CentOS 4 or Fedora 3 (both include
version 3.x.x of SpamAssassin).  "rpmbuild --rebuild srpm_file.src.rpm"
should work just fine.  Remove perl-Mail-SpamAssassin, and install this
new "spamassassin" package.

BTW, hopefully you don't have both spamassassin and
perl-Mail-SpamAssassin installed in parallel?