[CentOS] X stopped working after compiling new kernel

first last

prelude_2_murder at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 7 11:57:31 UTC 2005

Hi again,

After quite a few stability problems with CentOS 4 and my laptop I have
decided to go back to Centos 3.

I installed it and got everything working alright, apart from the
wireless network card. I need to use ndiswrapper and so require a newer
kernel (2.4.26 at least), so I downloaded the kernel source 2.4.30,
copied the right configuration (config-i686), made oldconfig and
installed the kernel.

Everything boots alright but X complaints about invalid checksum in the
video bios. Searching for this error message it mentions that I should
enable agpgart and support for my card (i852 or so) in the kernel, but
it is already supported (I have tried it as a module and compiled right
in).

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get X working again? Do I need to
get any extra RHEL patches before I can compile the code?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gabriel