[CentOS] New to CentOS, is this a safe bet?

Steve Bergman

steve at rueb.com
Sat May 7 16:12:43 UTC 2005

Ryan wrote:

> CentOS 4   xfce ( http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=43 )
> installer (xfce + goodies + gtk themes) , DAG's repository for yum and
> apt ( Kaffeine + DVD codecs + mplayer plug-in) = desktop OS nirvanna

On the topic of Dag's apt/yum repository.  I'm fairly new to CentOS
myself.  I'm planning to use it in places where Fedora would be less
appropriate.  I was worried about package availability.  Looking over
Dag's repository, I must say I am totally overwhelmed by the thought of
the work involved in maintaining it.  For Fedora, the extras repository
seems like a "big thing" to maintain.  Dag's repository is more
extensive, supports more OS versions, and from what I can tell, is more
up to date than extras.  I had to upgrade clamav and clamav-milter on
one of my Fedora Core 3 servers yesterday.  The latest in Extras is
0.72, which is ancient history.  I searched around for new rpms and
finanlly found some somewhere.  I should have gone right to Dag, because
clamav, clamav-milter, and the gang are all there in their very latest
incarnation (which I believe was just released a few days ago) for RH7,
RH8, RH9, FC1, FC2, FC3, EL3, EL4, FC2_X86_64, FC3_X86_64, EL3_X86_64,
and EL4_X86_64.  For most of FC3's life so far, all we had were excuses
and apologies for the nonexistence of FC3 Extras.

Sincerely,
Steve Bergman