[CentOS] Removing custom kernels?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon May 9 15:08:34 UTC 2005

Preston Crawford wrote:
> Is this possible. I did my first one yesterday in order to get my iPod
> mini to work with the EL kernel. It worked well. Everything went
> smoothly, but I don't like what I named it. So I'd like to take one more
> shot at it. If I do, is there a way to remove the old one cleanly?
> Modules and everything.

If you built RPM package, and installed it that way, rpm -q kernel to
see how it is named, than rpm -e kernel-whatever-is-your-version.

If you did make install or something similar to install it, than simply
remove the files from the disk (rm -rf).  You want to remove
/boot/config-version, /boot/initrd-version.img,
/boot/System.map-version, /boot/vmlinuz-version and
/lib/modules/version.  Also, modify your boot loader to reflect the
changes (either /boot/grub/grub.conf or /etc/lilo.conf).

> Also, if do recompile the kernel again, do I need fresh source, or can I
> just do a make clean, rename the setting in the Makefile for the name,
> then go through all the usual steps.

Make clean should do it.