[CentOS] Re: Hardware RAID Controller

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Wed May 11 10:31:29 UTC 2005

Peter Farrow wrote:

> I use 8500-8 3ware controllers, but I have seen a number of
> controllers with faulty SATA connectors that cause the RAID to go
> outof sync....

Now that you mention it, that is really my only gripe with SATA in
general.

<peeve>
The connectors (especially the male cable ends) are so bloody fragile...

Even when you know this and are extra careful, one slight bend in the
wrong direction and SNAP...the connector cracks.  I think if they made
them out of eggshells, they would be substantially stronger.  8-(
</peeve>

But once you manage to get things together, it's such a simpler/cleaner
solution than IDE (even rolled IDE cabling) or internal SCSI cabling.

Cheers,