[CentOS] Re: Hardware RAID Controller -- 3Ware SATA connectors

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed May 11 12:30:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 06:31 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Now that you mention it, that is really my only gripe with SATA in
> general.

3Ware _does_ offer 4-port concentrators that help reduce this issue,
at least at the card.  It's one of the main reasons they introduce it,
and 3Ware continues to be one of the _few_ (only?) vendor that offers
a better connector.

> <peeve>
> The connectors (especially the male cable ends) are so bloody fragile...
> Even when you know this and are extra careful, one slight bend in the
> wrong direction and SNAP...the connector cracks.  I think if they made
> them out of eggshells, they would be substantially stronger.  8-(
> </peeve>

I do agree with you.
I sure wish they could have put the male side on the _cable_ instead
of the board/drive.
The thinner "male" end is more likely to break than the bigger "female."

> But once you manage to get things together, it's such a simpler/cleaner
> solution than IDE (even rolled IDE cabling) or internal SCSI cabling.

At least until SerialSCSI is finalized.  ;->

Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith at ieee.org