[CentOS] Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Bryan J. Smith

b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue May 24 03:41:54 UTC 2005

> I take it you didn't run CIPE vpn's among any of those 30 machines or
> you'd still be on FC1.

Actually, Fedora Core 2 wasn't the only distro that dropped it.
There were a lot of issues with CIPE and kernel 2.6 -- many that were
not solved in the first 6 months of 2.6's release, by the time Fedora
Core 2 came out.  The first half-way reliable patches were for 2.6.6,
which was a month after about Fedora Core 2 came out (with 2.6.5).

Remember, even though Red Hat doesn't revision anymore on Fedora Core,
they still make somewhat of a .0-.1 and sometimes .2 revisionary
approach.  Fedora Core 1 was really an "evolutionary" .2 from Red Hat
Linux 8.0 and 9, which were basically .0 and .1 releases.  I personally
wish Red Hat would go back to revisions to "warn" people of changes**,
but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Fedora Core 2 was definitely a "revolutionary" .0, and things break, and
Fedora Core 3 was more of an "evolutionary" .1 based on changes done in
Fedora Core 2.  So what you're seeing is _no_different_ than typical Red
Hat Linux .0 release before.  People today are still bitching about the
GLibC 2.0 change of Red Hat Linux 5.0, and the forced ANSI C++
compliance with the adoption of GCC 2.96/3.0 in Red Hat Linux 7.

Don't shoot the messenger, Red Hat deals with a lot of things on the
"cutting edge" when they come out with .0 type revisions that change a
lot.  That's why they used to designate them as .0 and Red Hat almost
_always_ says "don't use this on a production system" in a .0 release
(and has since Red Hat Linux 5.0 I believe).

Like adopting kernel 2.6, which Fedora Core 2 did.  I still haven't seen
a so-called "Fedora Core 2-only" problem.  It's typically been kernel
2.6, SELinux (although much was scaled back for Fedora Core 2, and not
enabled until Fedora Core 3), Parted, GRUB, etc...  In fact, Fedora Core
actually had fewer problems with some distros because of changes -- like
not putting suid root on cdrecord, which other distros did run into as
of kernel 2.6.8 (long story).

**NOTE:  I would have revisioned the releases as follows:

Fedora Core 1 -> Fedora Core 3.2
Fedora Core 2 -> Fedora Core 4.0
Fedora Core 3 -> Fedora Core 4.1
Fedora Core 4 -> Fedora Core 5.0

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->