[CentOS] Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 24 04:53:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 22:41, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 11:38 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > I take it you didn't run CIPE vpn's among any of those 30 machines or
> > you'd still be on FC1.
>
> Actually, Fedora Core 2 wasn't the only distro that dropped it.
> There were a lot of issues with CIPE and kernel 2.6 -- many that were
> not solved in the first 6 months of 2.6's release, by the time Fedora
> Core 2 came out.  The first half-way reliable patches were for 2.6.6,
> which was a month after about Fedora Core 2 came out (with 2.6.5).

Yes, I know the history - I just have a knee-jerk reaction when
someone says they upgrade frequently and never have problems.  It
really just means they weren't using any of the features that
changed or went away.

> Fedora Core 2 was definitely a "revolutionary" .0, and things break, and
> Fedora Core 3 was more of an "evolutionary" .1 based on changes done in
> Fedora Core 2.  So what you're seeing is _no_different_ than typical Red
> Hat Linux .0 release before.  People today are still bitching about the
> GLibC 2.0 change of Red Hat Linux 5.0, and the forced ANSI C++
> compliance with the adoption of GCC 2.96/3.0 in Red Hat Linux 7.

Except that it still isn't fixed now that it easily could be.  If
you want CIPE in Fedora >1 or Centos 4, you have to recompile
the kernel to make it work.  OpenVPN is probably better these days
but that's not included either and unlike a lot of other packages,
for this one you have to coordinate any changes across locations.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com