[CentOS] Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Feizhou

feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue May 24 06:15:25 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 22:41, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 11:38 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>>I take it you didn't run CIPE vpn's among any of those 30 machines or
>>>you'd still be on FC1.
>>
>>Actually, Fedora Core 2 wasn't the only distro that dropped it.
>>There were a lot of issues with CIPE and kernel 2.6 -- many that were
>>not solved in the first 6 months of 2.6's release, by the time Fedora
>>Core 2 came out.  The first half-way reliable patches were for 2.6.6,
>>which was a month after about Fedora Core 2 came out (with 2.6.5).
>

> Yes, I know the history - I just have a knee-jerk reaction when
> someone says they upgrade frequently and never have problems.  It
> really just means they weren't using any of the features that
> changed or went away.

:)

Yeah, I personally don't mind the frequent upgrades but others on my
team and my manager go bonkers with this sort of thing. So it looks like
I will have to move to CentOS 4 for the said 30 and more machines.

Either way, tweaking is needed so I don't see the point of staying on
CentOS 4. The kernel needs to be recompiled for XFS support and that
means a recompile for every errata kernel release. ext3 + dir_index
support is still too heavy although I don't relish a crash on XFS either.

>>Fedora Core 2 was definitely a "revolutionary" .0, and things break, and
>>Fedora Core 3 was more of an "evolutionary" .1 based on changes done in
>>Fedora Core 2.  So what you're seeing is _no_different_ than typical Red
>>Hat Linux .0 release before.  People today are still bitching about the
>>GLibC 2.0 change of Red Hat Linux 5.0, and the forced ANSI C++
>>compliance with the adoption of GCC 2.96/3.0 in Red Hat Linux 7.
>

> Except that it still isn't fixed now that it easily could be.  If
> you want CIPE in Fedora >1 or Centos 4, you have to recompile
> the kernel to make it work.  OpenVPN is probably better these days
> but that's not included either and unlike a lot of other packages,
> for this one you have to coordinate any changes across locations.

I guess this means CIPE has not made it to the mainline kernel. With
Fedora, Redhat does less patches and pushes more upstream.