[CentOS] Hardware RAID Controller

Tue May 10 19:11:22 UTC 2005
Jonathan <j at firebright.com>

Lee W wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Has anyone had any experience of using the Promise FastTrak SX4000 or
> SuperTrak SX6000 IDE RAID Controllers under Centos  (if it matters I'm
> using version 4). I've seen it listed on linuxcompatible.org as
> working but would prefer to find out any first-hand experince before I
> buy.

I've run the SX4000 under 3.4.  I have no experience with 4, but I
wouldn't imagine support would roll backwards.

> I'm looking to build a new mini server based on Mini-ITX and have
> found a great 1U case that support upto 4 IDE drives.  It would be
> good to muck around with hardware RAID.

Go 3ware.  Promise is not a Linux friendly company, despite their
attempts.  Their support guys have been downright rude to me on the
phone in the past when I asked for updated drivers, telling me that
"Linux is only X% of the market, blah blah blah".  I was ticked.  I
stopped using them, and you should too.

> If not, can anyone suggest another make of RAID Controller that will
> support upto 4 IDE RAIDS (preferably with support for RAID 5). And is
> also available in the UK.

3ware.  Ebay.com is cheapest, but any vendor will do.  They're worth the
money.  I've got over 5 TB of RAID on 3ware cards, with nary a failiure
to date.

Jonathan