AW: [CentOS] Backing up my server...

Wed May 11 13:56:14 UTC 2005
Niels Przybilla <nprzybilla at yahoo.de>

Hi,

You can use mondorescue.org for example.

There you get fullbackups of your filesystem for easyrestore on bare-metal
disks.

Best regards

Niels

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] Im Auftrag
von Matt Hyclak
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2005 15:40
An: centos at centos.org
Betreff: Re: [CentOS] Backing up my server...

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:27:52AM -0500, israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu
enlightened us:
> I've just installed a CentOS 4.0, postgress,iptables, ect.. on a P
> 4 Intel using sotf RAID 1 ...and everything is fine. I bought a HP DLT
> 40/80G tape device for being use as tape backup to my server.
> My questions are:
>
> 1. What you recomended me to use as a soft backUP. (amanda,
> dump/restore, TAR scipts, other)?

amanda is just a backup scheduler. It uses the native system tools to
actually perform the backup, so it can use dump or tar, as well as using mt,
dd, etc.

> 2. How can I backUP my entire filesystem ..(I mean everything using
> one the above software)?

amanda can schedule that for you.

> 3. What software can I use to put this data into my tape device (HP
> DLT 40/80 G).?

tar or dump. If you just want full backups, and it will all fit on your
tape, I'd probably just use one of those. If you need to use several tapes
to backup your system, I'd probably use amanda and break it up into smaller
chunks to spread out tape usage.

> 4. Is there only one software which do everything I want?

That goes against the Unix philosophy of do one thing and do it well. You'll
have to become familiar with several tools to use a tape drive. mt and
tar/dump being the primary ones.

> NOTE: I am looking for some software which makes me a quick/easy
> backUP and quick/easy restore...

amanda will schedule backups, and provides the amrecover command which gives
you an ftp-like interface to your archived files.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics